Sunday, February 17, 2008

WILLIAMSBURG VA Stephanos

Hogalbee here exploring the historic Williamsburg/Jamestown area. After an educational tour of the Jamestown settlement, Branilicio and I were craving a quick bite and began browsing through the Sunny Day Colonial Guide. We are familiar with Sunny Day from their money saving coupon guide to Ocean City, Maryland. A little random page flipping brought us to Stephanos of South Henry Street along the edge of William and Mary College on one side and Colonial Williamsburg on the other.

Stephanos occupies a beautiful space in a retail complex with dark wainscoting and dark wooden cabinets setting off muted beige walls. The tables and seating looks like it would be at home in a corporate cafeteria. At the booths, the décor begins to break down with the upholstery splitting open liberally.

Ordering is done at a walk up counter. Maybe I am old fashioned, but I find it a little presumptuous to be handed a bill in which I am expected to calculate my tip before the service has been rendered. I usually like to see what kind of service I get before I reward it.

We skipped the pizzas and pastas and stuck to the sandwich menu. I opted for the Chicken Philly while Branilicio settled on the Turkey Grinder. The sandwiches arrived on toasted soft rolls. There was no option on bread. When the sandwiches were brought to the table they were tasty but certainly nothing special. What they mainly were was small. While many sandwich shops brag on the abundant size of their product, Stephanos never will with their current offering. Brandilicio, who can never finish a meal, found the size just right, but they are four to four and a half times costlier than a Quiznos Sammy, not much larger and not as tasty.

Branilicio gives Stephanos three smiles out of five.

§§§


I gave them two.


§§

No comments: